Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Holly-Daze!! Random Christmas Thoughts

The presents are open, dinner eaten, I've been to church and talked to my distant family. This is my favorite part of the holiday. How rare it is to have moments where literally, except for breathing and such, there is nothing I HAVE to do. Except travel across town to care for a friend's german shepherd mix I affectionately call Cujo. I have a break from babysitting for the holiday, so naturally I'm dog-sitting. Sigh.



Oh my blog, I have missed you. I've composed so much in my head that just stayed there. It's been a combination of a recalcitrant laptop, caring for a toddler, and basic inertia. Good to be back. Again.



I was somewhat unsatisfied with my Christmas letter this year. I wasn't really feeling it. So, hey, what better than to report directly from the trenches?

It's been a lovely Christmas. Perhaps my favorite moment came this morning when my normally sardonic teenager looked up from her stocking, beamed beautifically, and said it was a really nice Christmas. I melted.

Although it was not easy, I wouldn't say Advent was stressful. We took turns with various ailments and I've basically had a sore throat since Thanksgiving. It really put a crimp in my holiday frenzy and I must say that, ultimately, I was OK with that. In my fantasy the house is beautifully, tastefully, and whimsically decorated (and clean, of course). I would host a cozy gathering of my dearest friends complete with wassail and perhaps a cookie exchange. We would have an advent calendar and a richly appointed nativity scene replete with angels in heaven.

In reality, we did manage to get a tree which Miriam decorated on Christmas Eve. And all thanks and credit to Tom who shouldered the burden of Christmas shopping and really pulled the house together. He truly is a helpmate. Amelia nipped at my heels to make cookie dough and she and Miriam worked on (and squabbled about) the baking project. As I look back on it I realize it was a real team effort this year.

I also bet that we only used about 30% of our Christmas stuff. I treasure it all, but for now I'm happy with lights, a tree with selections from our ornament collection, and the stuffed fabric nativity scene my sister made for me some years ago.

One source of joy this year is the fact that the girls seem to value the experience of Christmas as much as, if not more than, the presents. They enjoy the preparation. They had fun planning gifts for each other and the parents. They love the music and TV shows. Amelia worked really hard on a scrapbook she made for her best friend. Some of our worst moments actually came while we were shopping. They both are still teenagers, you know.

Yes, Advent was rough, and there were quite a few moments when I felt run-down and like I was going through the motions. But the motions were not a bad thing. And I am at complete peace at this moment (ouch, now officially the day AFTER Christmas) because even though it wasn't Home and Gardens, it was beautiful. Our Christmas dinner was a little funky (who pairs yorkshire pudding with ham?), I never did see my friends, but my little family was happy. What more could I want?




1 comment:

  1. So very good to have you writing, again, and even better to be with you and the whole family, if only for a few hours.

    ReplyDelete