Thursday, September 24, 2009

Tick...Tick...Tick

My baby is thirteen. Very thirteen.

My eldest didn't prepare me for this. My headstrong toddler morphed into a fairly mellow teen. My funny, sunny toddler now stands taller than me, favors lots of dark eyeliner, and colors her hair. I said no to piercing her lip, and she cannot get a tattoo until she is financially independent.

She's a teen, and this is what teens do, isn't it? Why do I worry so?

I have no problem with her playing with her appearance. In fact, I've liked her hair colors and must admit that the eyeliner actually does accentuate her striking blue/green eyes. I'm fine with her attraction to the alternative, "punk light" bands she's digging these days.

I don't like the darkness. She's still funny, but now cloudy with only peeks of sunshine. I honestly can't tell if she's happy or not sometimes. Even more troubling is the fact that she's shut me out. I'm OK (for now) with her not friending me on Facebook. She also Twitters and texts and has always had liberal use of the laptop. All I get is monosyllabic answers and the dreaded deadpan stare. Is everything all right in her world? I don't know, and I don't want to be the last one to know.

She wants to grow up so fast, and it's so useless to tell her to slow down. I had to think hard about why this was bothering me so much. I have to have a certain amount of faith in her values and judgments. I realized, however, that while I trust her I don't trust other people. I don't want guys hitting on her. I don't want people encouraging stupid behaviour. She's smart, but a tad impulsive. And, for heaven's sake, SHE'S ONLY THIRTEEN!!

I feel vaguely helpless. Dealing with a teen is a lot like playing Minesweeper or defusing a bomb. Click the wrong square, pull the wrong wire, and it all blows up. It's a delicate balance. I try to give her reasonable space so she doesn't push away further. I try to keep the communication door open, but I wind-up sounding like the stereotypical dweeby parent and it triggers the blank stare.

I love her independence, but I miss my daughter.

(How can I write about her like this? Because she doesn't follow anything I do.)

2 comments:

  1. When I read this portion of your blog it was like traveling back in time. The good news is that as the girls matured into their 20's, it got a whole lot better. The sad news is they live so far away. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't take it personally that you have a sullen teenager. It's the rule more than the exception.

    Unfortunately, when you try to friend your teenage children on Facebook, this is what they're thinking:

    http://www.theonion.com/content/video/facebook_twitter_revolutionizing

    ReplyDelete