Saturday, March 21, 2020

The Beauty, The Splendor, The Wonder of My Hair (This one's for you, Josef)

When Ohio closed the hair salons it got real for me.  You see, I'm one of those lucky people who has a hair person.  Not just any random stylist, but a person who helped me to create my look and who I depend on to maintain it.  We have a relationship, and he takes his job seriously!  Us clients have already been warned away from box dyes while we're practicing our social distancing!

Mr. Josef is popular, not the kind of guy you just call when you need a cut or color.  His dance card is full so everything has to be scheduled out in advance.  And woe to you if you have to miss an appointment!  I've taken off work just to avoid the nightmare of trying to reschedule.

My relationship with my hair color is complicated.  I went purple in honor of my 50th birthday.  Not so much to look younger, but to express the idea that even though I was 50 (I know, I know.  I'm not old.), I'm still a vibrant human being.  It's not about trying to look younger, it's about expressing who I am.  It's a bonus that it happens to match my overall coloring really well!  I've made Mr. Josef promise me that he'll let me know when the hair starts looking too young for my face.  So far so good.


I've been contemplating going back to my natural color in honor of my 55th birthday.  I'll be graduating school and beginning a new professional phase of my life.  Maybe it's time for me to manifest my maturity and to show pride in who I am now.  

Before my last hair appointment it had been a few more weeks than usual since I'd last had my color refreshed, so I had longer gray roots than usual.  Was this a sign? Was it time to let the purple go?

I stood in front of the mirror and blocked the purple with my hands so I could get a sense of how I'd look gray.  My reaction?  "Aw hell no!"

I discussed this with my daughters who are my image consultants and they agreed.  The purple has become my brand.  At the restaurant everyone can identify the server with the purple hair, and even the defendants I met with in the Cuyahoga County jail for my internship liked it. It has become part of who I am, with the extra bonus that it happens to look really good with my overall coloring.

Now I have to figure out what to do about the Pepe Le Pew stripe that is developing down my scalp.  Wear it with pride?  Develop some type of comb-over?  Cut it into a mohawk?  Experiment with black cherry Koolaid? 

I think having two different hair colors with a sharp line of demarcation is about to be the hot new look.  I'm so trendy!

So how are you?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment